Our site includes affiliate links to products we recommend. If you use one to make a purchase, we earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
The best list of sad captions and sad quotes for Instagram for when you are feeling down and need help putting your feelings into words.
Feeling sad is a hard part of life but sometimes it can help to share. To help you out we have put together a list of the best sad captions for when you just need to tell people how you feel.
We have also included sad quotes for Instagram because sadness, loneliness and loss is a difficult topic and often someone else has said it best first.
If you like these captions about sadness, you might also find these quotes and captions helpful:
- Sad Quotes About Life
- Deep Sad Quotes and Deep Captions
- Moving On Captions and Moving On Quotes
- Letting Go Quotes
- I Miss You Quotes and Darkness Captions
- Thinking of You Quotes
Here are a few of our favorite sad captions.
- Every heart has pain. Only the way of expressing it is different.
- Pretending to be happy, hoping that the saying “fake it till you make it” actualizes.
- Nothing always stays the same. You don’t stay happy forever. You don’t stay sad forever.
- Tears are words the heart can’t express.
- I miss me. The old me. The real me. The happy me. The laughing me. The smiling me. The gone me.
- Everybody knows that something’s wrong, but nobody knows what’s going on.
- If only memories could be wiped as easily as tears.
- Wouldn’t it be terrific if we could turn back time? We could wipe all the sad moments away. But then, all the happy moments would vanish too.
- I’ve been through so much that now I’ll show you my most active side in my weakest.
- I know my silence and my tears will heal my pain one day.
- All human souls are connected, which explains why it hurts so much to detach from others.
- Who was it that dumped my dreams in a ditch? It was me.
- Unfortunately, being okay takes a lot of work.
- You’re afraid to tell people how you feel because it will destroy them, so you bury it deep inside yourself where it destroys you.
- The worst feeling is pretending you don’t care about something when it’s all you seem to think about.
- There is still blood flowing in my veins, but how come I feel so dead inside?
- Never have I intended to give up on anyone. But there were some sad times when I had to.
- Dear Past, stop tapping me on the shoulders, I don’t wanna look back.
- Old memories sometimes creep out of my eyes and slip down my cheeks.
- When people can walk away from you, let them walk. Your destiny is never tied to anybody who left.
- I hate getting flashbacks from things that I don’t want to remember.
- The sun doesn’t always shine, so it’s okay to fall apart sometimes.
- Happiness would be meaningless if sadness didn’t exist.
- I don’t need a particular reason to be sad. It’s just how my life is.
- People come; people go. In the end, it’s just you.
- Yearning for the times when my smile was real.
- My silence is just another word for pain.
- The worst missing is missing your old self.
- The worst kind of sad is not being able to explain why.
- Tears are words the mouth can’t say, nor can the heart bear.
- Just because I can carry my troubles well doesn’t mean I don’t feel the crushing weight.
- In certain instances, happy memories hurt the most.
- My mind is currently wandering in a dark and terrible place.
- I smile all the time so that nobody knows how broken I’m inside.
- Our eyes can speak. It is almost always futile to try and hide our feelings.
- Every time people ask me if I’m okay, it’s just a reminder that I’m not.
Sad Instagram Captions
Check out these sad Instagram captions and scroll through to find your favorite sad captions for Instagram.
- I’m busy saving everybody else when I can’t even save myself.
- It’s sad how people become what they had promised they never would.
- The pain I feel is the only thing that reminds me I’m still alive.
- My only wish right now is to fall asleep before I fall apart.
- I might laugh and smile, but my heart is filled with sadness you can’t imagine.
- Hiding a thousand feelings behind the happiest smile.
- The worst feeling is wanting to cry but having to hold it in because you are in public.
- Keeping a lot to myself because it’s difficult to find people who understand.
- My life is a collection of sad moments and comparatively less sad moments.
- It’s not like I like being alone, but it is that I’ve learned to walk alone.
- The worst part is time leaves forever, but the pain it causes stays forever.
- What do you do when the only one who can make you stop crying is the one who is making you cry?
- These are days when everyday clothes feel like weighted blankets.
- Try to be happy in the hardest time.
- Waiting for someone else to make you happy is the best way to be sad.
- Let the tears come and water your soul.
- Tears are words that the heart can’t say.
- Numb is my default mood.
- Sometimes you have to know when to stop hoping.
- What to do with all the sadness Channel it and convert it into creative energy.
- Expect less. Because you are not getting more anyway.
- Only if I could get a mask to hide the pallor of the pain you gifted.
- My own expectations caused most of the pain I’ve ever experienced in my life.
- Sometimes, you keep on waiting for that perfect day when everything is actually going to be ‘OKAY.
- Sometimes, you’ve got to be able to listen to yourself and be okay with no one else understanding.
- I think I’m afraid to be happy because whenever I get too happy, something bad always happens.
Sad Love Captions
- Here is the riddle of love: Everything it gives to you, it takes away.
- Love became a memory I fear to remember.
- Grief will always be the price we’ll pay for love.
- I don’t regret that I fall for you because still, I love you.
- The greatest pain that comes from love is loving someone who is not here…
- No matter how much it hurts, sometimes you have to let go of the person you love the most.
- I hate missing people that don’t miss me.
- Love isn’t easy, and that’s why only those capable of handling it get it.
- I’m not afraid to fall in LOVE, I am afraid to fall for the wrong person again.
- Someone who overthinks is someone who overloves.
- Occasionally, we fall in love with people we can’t have.
- You simply broke my trust in true love.
- If my absence doesn’t affect you, then my presence has no meaning.
- Everything was just like a fairy tale until you pushed me out of your world.
- We used to talk for hours. Look at us now.
- I dreamt of a forever, but I guess he had a different view.
- At some point, you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.
- Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting them back together.
- It’s sad when you realize you aren’t as important to someone as you thought you were
- You made me cry, you told me lies, but I can’t stand to say goodbye.
- It’s amazing how someone can break your heart, and you can still love them with all the little pieces.
- I can unfriend you, unfollow you, but how can I unlove you?
- The sad truth is that those who love more are loved less.
- I gave you my heart, but I didn’t expect to get it back in pieces.
- I guess broken pieces of glass hurt one badly, and so do broken pieces of the human heart.
- A heart that always understands also gets tired.
- At some point, you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.
- A broken heart is the worst. It’s like having broken ribs. Nobody can see it, but it hurts every time you breathe.
- Hearts are breakable, even when you heal, you’re never what you were before.
- I wish I were a little girl again because skinned knees are easier to fix than a broken heart.
- I may smile and I may laugh. But deep down, my heart is a pain you’ll never guess.
Captions About Being Sad
Scroll through these captions about being sad.
- Pain is hard to avoid. Actually, just the act of trying to avoid it is already a pain.
- To let go or to hold on? Which is more painful?
- Sometimes, all you wanna do is stay quiet just to find out who cares about you enough to ask you why.
- Nowadays, forever ends when you find someone better.
- Sadness can motivate you to put in the effort to reach a happier place.
- Have you ever woken up pre-sad? It’s like nothing even happened yet, but you’re already sad.
- Smile and no one will see how broken you are inside.
- Everyone is going to hurt you. You just need to find that one person who is worth suffering for.
- It’s not like I can’t feel pain. It’s just that I can tolerate it much better.
- Our sweetest songs are those that tell of the saddest thoughts.
- We distance ourselves to keep the sadness away, but it also prevents the happiness from coming in.
- Bad things will always happen, and there’s absolutely nothing we can do about it.
- My heart feels cold.
- It’s weird, but when I recall happy moments during my despairing moments, I get even sadder.
- The greatest way to feel unhappy is to wait for somebody else to bring you happiness.
- Feeling too much! Everything just goes straight to my heart.
- That moment when you burst into tears in your room, and you realize that no one knows how unhappy you are.
- God, I’m always so bloody tired.
- I hate it when crying is the only way to feel better.
- It still hurts that you’re doing completely okay, without me.
- I’m a simple person who hides a thousand feelings behind the happiest smile.
- Tears are words that need to be written.
- I wish I could escape to a place somewhere where the feelings and thoughts won’t be able to haunt me.
- It’s not always the tears that measure the pain. Sometimes it’s the smile we fake.
- The only thing standing between me and total happiness is reality.
- You can’t be lonely when you’ve always been alone in the first place.
- Instead of wiping your tears, wipe away the people who create them.
Captions About Sadness and Loss
Here are some captions about sadness and loss.
- For the most part, it is by losing what we love that we learn how to appreciate it.
- Letting go of the things you never had is actually the hardest thing to do.
- Stop looking for happiness in the same place you just lost it.
- First, accept sadness. Realize that without losing, winning isn’t so great.
- And in the end, it’s not the people you miss, and it’s the memories.
- This is the problem with getting attached to someone when they leave, you just feel lost.
- I close my eyes and dream of a time when I wasn’t all alone.
- People cry, not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for too long.
- I thought I lost you, but you were never really there
- Don’t say goodbye. Goodbye is to leave, as to leave is to eventually forget.
- Always hoping that one day I can be happy again.
- Sobbing alone in some room and then walking out like nothing ever happened.
- No, I may not be physically alone. But mentally, there is no one in sight.
- Out of emotions, filled with emptiness.
- The saddest thing is when you’re on the verge of breaking down, and you try to look for a shoulder to cry on, but there’s none.
- You’ve changed me forever. And I’ll never forget you.
- It was when I woke up that the nightmare began.
- Even a million tears won’t bring anything back.
- The hardest part is waking up in the morning. Remembering what you were trying to forget last night.
- Being alone isn’t really as bad as being with people who make you feel alone.
Sad Quotes for Instagram
If these sad quotes for Instagram speak to you, head over to our list of Sad Quotes About Life for more.
“Sad hurts but it’s a healthy feeling. It is a necessary thing to feel.” — J.K. Rowling
“You still make me smile, even if you’re the reason why I’m sad.” — Zakiya And Majid
“There are two types of people in the world: those who prefer to be sad among others, and those who prefer to be sad alone.” — Nicole Krauss
“Trying to avoid sadness is trying to avoid life.” — Maxime Lagacé
“Sadness is but a wall between two gardens.” — Khalil Gibran
“Sadness flies away on the wings of time.” — Jean de La Fontaine
“Have you ever been so sad that it physically hurt inside?” — Crystal Ball
“Tears come from the heart and not from the brain.” — Leonardo da Vinci
“The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy.” — Jim Rohn
“Behind every sweet smile, there is a bitter sadness that no one can ever see and feel.” — Tupac Shakur
“Your sadness is a gift. Don’t reject it. Don’t rush it. Live it fully and use it as fuel to change and grow.” — Maxime Lagacé
“The word ‘happy’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.” — Carl Jung
“Every day life adds a new page in my life…but the sad part is…every page is Blank…” — Bharat Singh
“Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.” — Steven Tyler
“There is no worse sorrow than remembering happiness in the day of sorrow.” — Alfred De Musset
“I always like walking in the rain, so no one can see me crying.” — Charlie Chaplin
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.” — Dante
“Sad things happen. They do. But we don’t need to live sad forever.” – Mattie Stepanek
“I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have – life itself.” — Walter Anderson
“A feeling of sadness and longing, That is not akin to pain, And resembles sorrow only As the mist resembles the rain.” — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“Sadness is silent, it is yours. It is coming because you are alone. It is giving you a chance to go deeper into your aloneness. Rather than jumping from one shallow happiness to another shallow happiness and wasting your life, it is better to use sadness as a means for meditation. Witness it. It is a friend! It opens the door of your eternal aloneness.” — Osho
“It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love.” — Miguel de Unamuno
“Our greatest joy and our greatest pain come in our relationships with others.” — Stephen R. Covey
“The worst feeling isn’t being lonely, it’s being forgotten by someone you’d never forget.” — Helen Hywater
Deep Sad Instagram Quotes
Here are some deep sad Instagram quotes from our list of Deep Sad Quotes.
“Melancholy is the happiness of being sad.” ― Victor Hugo
“You need to try to master the ability to feel sad without actually being sad.” — Laurie Anderson
“Being sad with the right people is better than being happy with the wrong ones.” — Philippos Syrigos
“Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” — Rumi
“Life is too short to be angry or sad for long.” – Alphonso Davies
“To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing.” — Dorothy Thompson
“The scars we sustain, the weaknesses we attain, are temporary.” — Mo Gawdat
“It is sadder to find the past again and find it inadequate to the present than it is to have it elude you and remain forever a harmonious conception of memory.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.” — Henry David Thoreau
“Happiness would not be fully appreciated without an experience of its opposite, sadness.” – Richard Daly
“The pain never really goes away; you just elevate and get used to it by growing stronger.” — Ritu Ghatourey
“Almost all sadness comes from thinking about the past, and all worry from thinking about the future – present-mindedness is your only safe haven.” — Bryant McGill
“I want to show you that you are not alone, and that we are all in it together. Depression, anxiety, panic and deep sadness is an illness just like any other.” — Frankie Bridge
“There are moments when I wish I could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but I have the feeling that if I did, the joy would be gone as well.” — Nicholas Spark
So that is our list of captions about being sad and sad Instagram quotes. We hope you found one that spoke to you.
You might also like our list of Breakup Captions.
Other Captions You Might Like: