If you are looking for short sea quotes to add to your next social media post, well, you have come to the right place. Here we have gathered all the best short quotes about the sea into one place. Spending time by the water is simultaneously calming and inspiring. These sayings about the sea can be funny, descriptive, inspirational and will make you want to spend more time by the water watching the waves come in.
We quit our jobs over 10 years ago and have been travelling ever since, and spending time by the sea is one of our favourite things to do. The sea is such an amazing experience that it can be difficult to do really do it justice and capture the elusive feelings it creates. However, this list of short quotes on the sea help us do just that.
If you like quotes that are short check out our list of the Best Short Quotes.
They also work well if you are looking for sea quotes for Instagram, working perfect to capture the experience for your next post about the sea. On the other hand, if you are looking for a caption that isn’t a quote we have a whole list of sea captions for Instagram to choose from, including several variations of “vitamin sea”.
You should also check out our list of the Best Sea Quotes.
We have also paired some of our favourite short sea quotes with our favourite photos from the Mediterranean Sea.
Best Short Sea Quotes
1. “The sea has neither meaning nor pity.” – Anton Chekhov
2. “My course is set for an uncharted sea.” – Dante
3. “The sea hates a coward.” – Eugene O’Neill
4. “I am a shipwrecked man who fears every sea.” – Ovid
5. “The breaking of a wave cannot explain the whole sea.” – Vladimir Nabokov
6. “It is pleasant to watch the wild sea.” – Lucretius
7. “The secrets of the sea are forgotten at the seashore.” – Giorgos Seferis
8. “The best cure for sea sickness is to sit under a tree.” – Spike Milligan
9. “The ceaseless twinkling of laughter of the waves of the sea.” – Aeschylus
10. “It’s always our self we find in the sea.” – E. E. Cummings
11. “The tang of the untainted, fresh, and free sea air was like a cool, quieting thought.” – Helen Keller
12. “I love the beach. I love the sea.” – Rafael Nadal
13. “I love the sound and smell of the sea.” – Genesis Rodriguez
14. “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
15. “Smell the sea, and feel the sky. Let your soul and spirit fly.” – Van Morrison
16. “The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.” – Karen Blixen
17. “The sea complains upon a thousand shores.” – Alexander Smith
18. “The sea lives in every one of us.” – Robert Wyland
19. “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” – Jacques Yves Cousteau
20. “The waves of the sea help me get back to me.” – Jill Davis
21. “Where the land meets the sea and the sea meets the sky.” – Umair Siddiqui
22. “You stand next to the sea and you’re in touch with all your longings and all your losses.” – Elizabeth Hay
23. “A lot of people attack the sea, I make love to it.” – Jacques Yves Cousteau
24. “A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
25. “All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full.” – King Solomon
26. “He who lets the sea lull him into a sense of security is in very grave danger.” – Hammond Innes
27. “Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.” – Publilius Syrus
28. “At sea, I feel comfortable and I come to rest.” – Laura Dekker
29. “At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.” – Robin Lee Graham
30. “Don’t sit and wait. Get out there, feel life. Touch the sun, and immerse in the sea.” – Rumi
31. “But where, after all, would be the poetry of the sea were there no wild waves?” – Joshua Slocum
32. “The sea drinks the air and the sun the sea.” – Anacreon
33. “The sea drives truth into a man like salt.” – Hilaire Belloc
34. “He that will not sail till all dangers are over must never put to sea.” – Thomas Fuller
35. “I am alone again and I want to be so; alone with the pure sky and open sea.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
36. “I feel we are all islands – in a common sea.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
37. “The sea will grant each man new hope, and sleep will bring dreams of home…” – Christopher Columbus
38. “There are more sharks on the land than in the sea.” – Neil Wheatley
39. “I need the sea because it teaches me.” – Pablo Neruda
40. “I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea.” – Alain Gerbault
41. “The sea lives in every one of us.” – Robert Wyland
42. “It isn’t that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better.” – Sir Francis Drake
43. “It’s out there at sea that you are really yourself.” – Vito Dumas
44. “Life is as inexorable as the sea.” – Thomas Wentworth Higginson
45. “Praise the sea, on shore remain.” – John Florio
46. “The breaking of a wave cannot explain the whole sea.” – Vladimir Nabokov
47. “The edge of the sea is a strange and beautiful place.” – Rachel Carson
48. “When men come to like a sea-life, they are not fit to live on land.” – Samuel Johnson
49. “The great sea makes one a great sceptic.” – Richard Jefferies
50. “The man who has experienced shipwreck shudders even at a calm sea.” – Ovid
51. “He who rides the sea of the Nile must have sails woven of patience.” – William Golding
52. “There are no signposts in the sea.” – Vita Sackville-West
53. “The sea! The sea! The open sea! The blue, the fresh, the ever free!” – Bryan W. Procter
54. “When you grow up on an island, what matters is how you stand to the sea.” – Roddy Doyle
55. “The sea finds out everything you did wrong.” – Francis Stokes
56. “Beauty of expression is so akin to the voice of the sea.” – George Matthew Adams
57. “There’s never an end for the sea.” – Samuel Beckett
58. “There is no new wave, only the sea.” – Claude Chabrol
59. “He that will learn to pray, let him go to sea.” – George Herbert
60. “The sea is as near as we come to another world.” – Anne Stevenson
And there you have it! Our list of the best short quotes about the sea. We hope you found one that spoke to you.
You might also be interested in our other short quotes lists including short sunset quotes, short mountain quotes, short nature quotes, short flower quotes, short Christmas quotes and short sunshine quotes.
Let us know in the comments below if we missed any short sea quotes that should be added.
Pin it for Later!
Other Posts About Quotes You May be Interested in: